Odds are if you’ve ever mentioned an ailment on social media, you likely had a number of people tell you, “there’s an oil for that!” From headaches to respiratory issues and safer cleaning options to the common cold, it seems that essential oils are everyone’s new go-to for fixing things.
Apparently, it’s the liquid version of duct tape- it can go anywhere, at any time!
Want to know more about these little drops of miracles? If you’re just getting started- or plain curious- we’ve got you covered in our oils crash course 101:
What Are Essential Oils
First extracted from the bark, flower, fruit, leaf, seed or root of a plant, essential oils are then distilled to separate the oil and water-based compounds. What’s left is pure liquid gold… and a little bit goes a long way.
What Are Common Oils and Their Benefits?
- Lavender: To help calm and relax.
- Peppermint: Perfect for digestion, mood, energy, and headaches. Also helps to keep bugs at bay.
- Eucalyptus: Helps to improve breathing issues, gives energy and keep bugs away.
- Tea Tree: Big time antifungal and antibacterial power player. Helps to cleanse and boost the immune system as well.
- Rosemary: Energizing and helpful to boost brain activity.
- Lemon: A must have when cleaning around the house- or inside your gut!
- Lemongrass: Full of antioxidants, it helps with digestion, blood pressure and boosts metabolism.
- Ginger: Helps with digestion and other stomach issues, supports joint health and reduces inflammation.
- Clove: Helps with everything from liver function, respiratory issues, stress, and fighting inflammation.
- Cypress: Works wonders to improve circulation, acts as a diuretic and improves blood flow.
Essential Oils Are NOT a One Size Fits All
As with anything in life, it’s always best to do your homework. Due to the highly concentrated nature of essential oils, you should be aware of how much you use- and how you’re using it. Here are some quick tips for using essential oils in the safest ways possible:
- Always research your oils to make sure the applications in which you are using them are safe. For example, not all oils can be orally consumed.
- Talk with your medical provider about which oils are safe while pregnant or nursing. Similarly, not all oils- or the same concentration of oils- should be used on children, so discussing it with your pediatrician is always a good idea.
- Find out which oils are beneficial to our furry friends before giving them anything to help with fungal issues or ticks and fleas. While oils keep these pests at bay around our house, putting them directly on animal skin/ fur can cause complications if not using the correct oil.
- Only use quality oils from proven distributors.
At the end of the day, there’s a reason why essential oils have taken off the way they have: they’re incredibly powerful, beneficial for the body and when used correctly, can replace most (if not all) of our daily household cleaning items! At Sudzly, we only use THE BEST 100% organic essential oils so you can feel good about what you’re putting on your body, drop by drop!